Friday, July 5, 2013

The Price of Tiering Down

As I have mentioned on my previous post, I recently tiered down my mainland parcel from 9216m2 to 5120m2 after maintaining it for more than 6 years.

Now this is the price, when you sell your land and your new neighbors move in (the weird fugly tower and Taj Majal have already been there since years btw), click on images to enlarge:

Great flat one dimensional fugly builds, hello 2006! Hey we got mesh and materials now! Please for fucks sake.... update your stuff! And kindly stop hurting people's eyes!



Opposed to how it used to be (got a new store by the way):



My view when all was clean and pleasing to the eye:

 



My current view:




Thank the SL Gods for Firestorm's derender feature, now my place looks like this again:


Unfortunately, my customers and visitors won't have the pleasure of seeing it the way I do. I wish we were able to share our region settings including derendered objects. But that would be impossible I guess.

I know one needs to own a whole region to enjoy a better view. You see, it isn't actually that difficult to buy an island or a whole region. The problem is maintaining it, cuz tier is just ridiculously expensive.

When I was dividing my parcels, preparing to sell them, I happened to make a simple mistake regarding a single 512m2 plot, cuz I got group land and my own, which confused me a bit. You know it happens easily if you haven't done that since years. For that mistake of exceeding 512m2 for a few seconds, my tier for that month jumped from 47,60 USD to 89,25 USD (incl. eurovat), that's just fucking stupid!

You see, most of my old neighbors always maintained an aesthetic water view, and many built their homes up in the sky (well aside from that weird fugly tower beside me, which I derendered forever anyway). And it's been like that since 6 years.

Why some people don't have a sense for great looking stuff or what is pleasing to the eye, I will never understand. Maybe their computers, can't render higher graphic settings. Well if that's the case, then the server side baking feature hopefully eliminates those.

We need to move on and progress yo! So update your computers and enjoy better graphics. C'mon now, you can get a great gaming rig for a thousand bucks! Save a few months if you can't get it at once, then get one. Believe me, you will enjoy SL better! Or switch to Yahoo messenger chat, if graphic isn't important to you! You don't need SL if you just want to chat! So stop the BS!!

So when SSB goes live (dunno if it's live already), will people with old pc's and crappy graphic cards still be able to see anything in SL? Let's hope SSB eliminates those crappy builds in SL.


The above shots are unaltered and were taken using the windlight settings:
Sky ---> FS Original
Water---> Glassy

No comments: