Monday, July 1, 2013

Let's Talk Numbers!


After owning 9216m2 of mainland parcel for 6 years, I finally decided to sell the half of it, to tier down. First reason is because I'm rarely inworld anyway and not performing live anymore, nor having parties/events like I used to.

So I closed down C-Music Lounge and my private residence. I believe more than six years were enough to provide other residents free entertainment and a cool and quiet hangout.

Don't get me wrong, I never expected donations to cover a part of my tier costs to begin with, cuz one can never rely on that, especially when a lot of residents can't relate to it, like if they don't own land or a venue.

Some think a donation of 20L$ is enough, which is kinda cute in a way, especially if those residents really don't have much lindens to spare. I therefore just kinda provided the place so people can hang-out and have a good time (mostly when I'm sleeping due to timezone).

Ever since LL provided a premium sandbox and the SL Marketplace became "box free", it became the deciding point for me to finally tier down. Lesser tier, more profit right?

I'm one of the lucky ones, who didn't need to pay from my own pocket anymore, a year after I started my business. I even had the chance to treat myself to some RL delights, out of my SL business profit.

I'm sure others make a lot more profit than me, which allows them to afford one or more islands. Still I'm just glad I never needed to buy Linden Dollars anymore, thus an entertainment form, that does not cost me a single cent. Oh but it does cost me something... time! One certainly needs a lot of time to be in SL.


So let's do the math:

  • 47,60 USD monthly tier (incl. European VAT) x 12 months = 571,20 USD
  • 571,20 USD x 6 years = 3427,20 USD
  • 85,68 USD annual premium membership (incl. European VAT) x 2 (for 2 premium avatars) = 171,36 USD a year
  • 171,36 USD x 6 years = 1028,16 USD
  • 1028,16 USD + 3427,20 USD =  4455,36 USD

4455,36 USD (tier and premium membership only) spent within 6 years on Second Life! Now that's an expensive game/hobby/outlet/entertainment -- call it whatever you want! That's approximately 3400,- EUR, which isn't peanuts either!

I can't remember, nor find my land purchase transactions anymore, but I vaguely remember paying around 1500,- USD, cuz land, especially protected ocean parcels, were very expensive in 2007.

I won't be adding the land purchase cost to the above calculation, since I already got that investment back. I won't also add the L$ I spend every month, shopping for myself and many alts, also the cash I re-invest into my business monthly.

A few alts also love to play a bingo type of game, so that's another way to throw money away. Well one wouldn't seriously believe winning a game scripted by an SL resident, when money is involved right? The bank always wins, so just play to have fun.

I'm not quite sure, but I'm not very motivated anymore in creating stuff. I still need to update a lot of products and I still have a lot in the pipeline, which I'm too lazy to release.

Anyway, let's just wait and see. Keep posted and don't forget to subscribe to my blog!


What I'm wearing:

Dress: Tuty's - Qipao Mesh Dress
Shoes: Redgrave - Helena

No comments: